The town of Nemo was located where Island Creek joins the Emory River just downstream from Nemo Bridge. This is also the location where the old Catoosa Railroad line passed. The railroad bridge was damaged by the flood of 1929 and finally destroyed by the flood of 1940.  Following the latter flood, the bridge was never rebuilt and led to the town of Nemo’s decline. “Nemo” is Latin for “no one.” The name was used for convenience more than anything else; stops along the rail line were to be kept in alphabetical order, and Nemo served as the stop after Montgomery and before Oakdale. The nearby town of Lancing on the rail line was formerly known as Kismet, but its name was changed in order to keep the alphabetical sequence intact. —MS

Print Friendly